- KS2, Play in a Day, Science
Take a trip into outer space and learn about the Earth, the Sun, the Moon and the other planets.
Our Earth and Beyond Play in a Day is specifically designed for Year 5 pupils and allows them to explore the whole solar system – in just one school day. They’ll work with the practitioner for the full day, learning loads of exciting facts and information about the topic through games, activities and songs. They’ll apply this learning to the creation of a play, which will be performed to your invited audience at the end of the day.
All of our Science Play in a Days allow children to develop a greater understanding of the world around them. We use scientific terms to help children develop their vocabulary and introduce key concepts of scientific enquiry and the participatory and engaging mode of delivery ensures children learn while having loads of fun.
The structure of a Play in a Day:
– We start with warm ups and ‘getting to know you’ activities
– Then we move on to exploring the topic, through games and activities.
– We begin work on the play with all children having the chance to speak and perform. Children are not given scripts, lines are delivered orally and remembered through action & repetition – this makes the Play in a Day format totally accessible and inclusive.
– We reinforce learning and understanding throughout the day through questioning, break out activities and plenary games.
– Children are given costume and props and we integrate music during the day too!
– Around 2:30pm your invited audience arrive – this can be another class, the rest of the school and/or parents.
– The performance takes place – children put everything they’ve learnt into practice.
– Following wild applause, children are presented with a certificate and your class teacher gets a lovely resource pack of follow up activities to do in class.
Key learning in the Earth & Beyond Play in a Day. Children will learn:
– The features of planet Earth, including how these were discovered.
– The relationship of our planet to the Sun and Moon.
– How the earth moves and how this creates day and night.
– The features of all 8 other planets including temperature, chemical make-up, age and moons (where relevant)
“Play in a Day provides an alternative way of learning new topics. The children were engaged within the play and they gained more knowledge of space and the planets. Children gain confidence when performing in front of their peers and they learn new topics in a creative way. 10/10.” P. Greenwood, Teacher, Freehold Community Primary, Oldham